Acupuncture for Oedema
Natural Fluid Retention Treatment Brisbane
Acupuncture aims to treat the cause of the oedema (edema), not just the symptom of fluid retention. The type and method of treatment will depend on where the oedema is thought to originate - lung, spleen, or kidney.
Acupuncture is a non-invasive and effective method to treat all types of edema like peripheral, lymphedema, and macular. Scientific studies have proved that acupuncture has significant benefits in treating edema and we would recommend you to try it for yourself. Our acupuncturists will be able to determine the type of edema you have and create a treatment plan best suited for you.
Book a Consultation Today
What is Edema/Oedema?
Edema is the swelling of body parts (legs, ankles, feet, brain) due to an injury or inflammation. Blood vessels may leak fluid into nearby tissues which can build up fluid and cause the tissue to swell.
Types of Edema
Edema can affect any part of the body. Depending on the body part it is affected, the edema can be classified as:
- Peripheral - affects arms, legs, feet and ankles
- Pedal - fluid build-up in feet and lower legs
- Cerebral - head injury can cause fluid to build up in your brain
- Lymphedema - swelling in arms and legs due to damage to the lymph nodes
- Pulmonary - fluid can accumulate in the lungs and can cause breathing problems
- Macular - damaged blood vessels in the retina can leak fluid into the centre of the retina (macula)
Causes of Fluid Retention or Edema
Oedema or fluid retention can occur in the body due to:
- Stagnation - standing or sitting for long periods
- Hot conditions - hot weather or other high heat environments such as a sauna
- Pregnancy - extra fluid is often retained during pregnancy
- Menstrual cycle due - women's bodies sometimes retain fluid prior to their menstrual period
- Diet - excess salt or deficiencies in vitamins or minerals
- Drugs - some medications for certain conditions can cause oedema
- Ill health - diseases of the heart, kidney or lungs, thyroid problems, arthritis, lymph issues, and critical health conditions
- Skin infections
- Low level of albumin and other proteins in the blood
- Allergic reactions - a bee sting can trigger an allergic reaction affecting the area which can limit movement and cause pain
- Blood clot - Blood clot or tumour can affect the flow of blood and cause accumulation of fluid
Acupuncture for Fluid Retention
Acupuncture can assist with the reduction of fluid retention or oedema by encouraging blood flow and the movement of fluid through the body. This further helps to reduce joint inflammation and swelling of limbs. Acupuncture has significant benefits - it stimulates the production of the hormone cortisol. Cortisol can reduce inflammation and edema.
Book Brisbane Acupuncturists for Relief from Edema
Our experienced acupuncturists can assist in the relief from your uncomfortable and painful oedema. Book in for a consultation with our acupuncture team today and take a holistic approach to Oedema treatment. Simply give us a call on 07 3857 8887 or complete our online consulation form. And our friendly staff will get in touch with you shortly.
- WebMD - What is Edema
- Healthdirect - Role of Cortisol
- A Trial Study of Moxibustion with a Warming Needle on Edema
Our Acupuncture Therapists
Acupuncture,Fertility & Pregnancy Care,Pain Management,Remedial Massage,Stress Management,Traditional Chinese Medicine,Womens Health
Greg Bantick has been in practice since 1975 in a wide variety of clinical settings. He has particular interests in dermatology, digestive, mood and auto-immune disorders.
Anti-Ageing,Acupuncture,Biomesotherapy,Energetic Facial Release,Fertility & Pregnancy Care,Iridology,Naturopathy,Nutritional Medicine
For more in depth acupuncture information visit our Acupuncture Information page